Gauley Bhai (“the boy from back home/of the neighbourhood” in Nepali, lit. “younger brother from the village”) is a transtraditional rock band, based in Bangalore and Kalimpong. In 2017, a group of friends met in a jam room in Bangalore – Siddhant, Veecheet and Anudwatt from Kalimpong (Gorkhaland – nepali-speaking north-east India) & Joe from Calicut (Kerala). They began creating music that reflected their journeys of migration. The music drew from sounds of their childhood, growing up in small towns, and the fractures of life in a city.
- Gauley Bhai’s debut album JORO has received extensive coverage and positive reviews from major publications in India and Nepal.
- Notable publications such as WildCity, The Indian Music Diaries, Rolling Stone, The Record Nepal have warmly embraced the album and praised its qualities.
- Gauley Bhai has had the privilege of performing at significant music festivals including Ziro Festival, Nh7 Weekender, Orange Festival, Joon Festival, Magnetic Fields, Ridermania, Echoes of Earth, International Folklore Film Festival, Jazz Weekender and Film South Asia 2022.
- Their captivating performances at these festivals have showcased their exceptional talent and garnered further recognition for the band.
- Hear Bengaluru-Based Gauley Bhai’s Hypnotic Rock Debut ‘Joro’. –Rolling Stone India. Anurag Tagat (2019, June 5).
- Review: ‘Joro’ By Gauley Bhai. –Wild City. Amaan Khan (2019, June 13).
- Gauley Bhai’s debut album, Joro, evokes a longing for a faraway home. –The Indulge Express. Anagha M (2019, June 20).
- Tune Of The Mountain- Gauley Bhai Album Review. –Rock Street Journal. Shaswata Kundu Chaudhary (2019, June 21).
- New Gauley Bhai Video Is A Brilliant Piece Of Dark Comedy. –Rock Street Journal. Madhusudan Raman (2019, November 14).
- Moving songs from the boys next door –The Nepali Times. Sewa Bhattarai (2020, June 7).
- Gauley Bhai: On a wild note. –The New Indian Express. Muneef Khan (2020, June 30).
- On a hopeful note. –The New Indian Express. Simran Ahuja (2020, October 3).
- Breaking the fever with Gauley Bhai’s Joro. –The Record Nepal. Pranaya SJB Rana (2021, May 17).